Eric the Snake Cake – Award Winner!

Eric the Snake Cake – Award Winner!

[nggallery id=6]

How the snake cake was made

Eric was carved vanilla madeira sponge cake which was then covered in sugarpaste, each scale individually imprinted, his skin handpainted and each scale highlighted before receiving his shiny coat.

Being a corn snake I made him a bed of soil amongst the withered leaves and stems of the corn plantation.

Cake International Gold Medal!

This cake was made as an entry for the sculpted novelty cake competition at CAKE international, and I’m delighted to sssssay he won a Gold award.

The reaction of the onlookers was varied to say the least; some couldn’t bear to go near him as he seemed too real while others wanted to take countless photo’s, one thing’s for sure - he certainly made his presence felt.

On the radio!

A few weeks after winning I was interviewed on a BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio show. The video below is of that interview.

9 Responses to “Eric the Snake Cake – Award Winner!”

1. Sarah says:

Hi laura,

I just wanted to say your cakes are truly inspiring! Well done with the award, I’m also a self taught cake artist who likes to drive myself nuts creating the most crazy 3D cakes (that seem like a good idea at the time!) so its nice to see someone else who enjoys creating the impossible!

Sarah

2. neide says:

thats awsome i need do anaconda for next saturday but i do now how can printed the scales and paint the skin with coalt can you share that litller detail please .

3. neide says:

what do you used to print the scales?

4. laura says:

I used a diamond shaped tool that my Dad fashioned for me out of a piece of wire and printed into the fondant whilst it was soft.

5. laura says:

Thanks very much – I used a diamond shaped wired tool fashioned by my Dad and pressed it into the fondant whilst it was soft.

6. Meagan says:

What kind of paint did you use? I want a really saturated look for my markings on my snake cake (not water color like) any tips would be appreciated. I don’t know really what type of coloring to use

7. laura says:

Gel food pastes are the best ones mixed with a little clear alcohol